Monday, June 26, 2006

I kept on telling myself that blogs are for people who have interesting lives. Or at least interesting thoughts. I have neither, but due to outside pressures I now at least have a blog. This ought to last for a couple really painfully boring weeks.

So into the fray!

Went to New York with the Boy this weekend so he could see friends and so I could see (in his words) "a real city". I always feel that I ought to resent comments like that because DC is an amazing city so I do. I resent comments like that lots. Anyway, I think part of it was to get rid of these impressions that I have that said Boy is a) much older than I am, because he has a real job and things and b) that he spends all of his time smoking and drinking and listening to Captain Sensible. a) was a success, b) just got reinforced. Strongly reinforced. That may be why I like him. But spending time with his friends reminded me of the Us Plus, but with mimosas not gin and less baking, ie. university roustabouts with too much booze and spare time. They are also hipper than we are. Hence the mimosas and other substances. Sparkling wine is too expensive in Canada to mess with that kinda noise though. But New York was amazing, even though we stayed away from the tourist sites (we didn't go above 14th except a brief jaunt into Astoria for Greek food) and we stayed, for us, remarkably chaste (staying on couches in cramped apartments, the monthly rent of which is as much as I pay for half a semester of school and which have no noiseproofing and very few walls).

And now I need to figure out how to explain to him that I have purposefully alienated almost all of my high school friends and my "s-scene" friends because they are/ were BAD BAD BAD for me, so if he wants to meet the people I hang out with he needs to hit Halifax. Maybe I can just get away with introducing him to S. and M. multiple times, wearing funny wigs and assuming different accents each time. But I wish he could meet BBeast and Adiz and Mikezor and N. Zed and W. and Sh. and J. and everyone else. And I really like referring to people by initals cause it makes me feel like novels about minor royalty so get used to it. Plus I really wish I had a nickname. That people called me and all, not just one I call myself in my head. And that isn't "my little buttercup" or JSpot (I accidentially typed JSot, which may be more apt. Apter? Anyways it fits.). Is that too specific? Or demanding?

4 Comments:

Blogger Rebecca said...

I'm rather fond of "JSpot", unfortunate as it is!

You could be "azalea", to go with "bewilderbeast" which is a type of orchid that I named myself after, strangely and incongruously. I ain't flowery nohow in the least.

2:20 PM  
Blogger J said...

Someone ought to tell me how to fix mah linx. I hate these computer things already. Le sigh.

2:55 PM  
Blogger A-Diz. said...

...Julias!

3:45 PM  
Blogger Rebecca said...

Also, can you call me "R." instead of "BBeast"? If you're going to be writing novels about minor royalty I may as well not look as foolish as that pseudonym makes me out to be.

I like leaving comments about myself in your weblog.

6:53 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home